Hello WRHS Band Family!
We hope you have had a relaxing summer, because we are only 3 DAYS away from marching band camp 2022!! The band staff wanted to reach out with some reminders and important info regarding camp and the start of the school year:
Band Camp Dates/Times:
- July 28-29, August 1-3, and August 9-10, from 8:00am-5:00pm
- August 10th will be a half day (8:00am-12:00pm), with a food truck Exhibition Performance that night at 6:30pm (students report at 5:00pm). Trucks will serve students at 5:30, and everyone else at 6:00.
- Lunch each day will be from 12:00pm-1:30pm. You should bring a sack lunch or commute with a friend to get food and be back ready to play at 1:30pm.
Attendance on all days is mandatory. This is when we teach all marching and music fundamentals crucial to your student's and the band's success throughout the season. Per the WRHS Band Handbook, we only excuse absences communicated at least 7 days in advance for other school activity conflicts, illnesses/appointments, or vacations planned before band camp dates were released in early May. If you are missing a part of band camp, you will be placed on "alternate marcher" status until you earn your spot back. Alternate marchers participate in all learning of music and drill, but do not get to participate in performing at festivals and competitions.
What to Wear/Bring to Camp:
- Athletic tennis shoes- NOT converse, vans, crocs, or sandals/flip flops of any kind. You'll be standing, running, and marching for long days, and you'll want to have the appropriate footwear to be comfortable!
- Athletic shorts and t-shirt/tank top- we recommend NOT wearing jean shorts or long pants/sleeves in the heat
- Hat & sunglasses
- 32 oz or larger water bottle. We will have water stations to refill.
- Instrument- if you don't have one, we rent them out during check-in on the first day of camp. Mr. Exum will be sending out locker info before band camp starts.
- Instrument supplies- pencil, lyre, flip folder for music, reeds (half off at Manning Music right now!), reed case, valve oil, slide grease, neck strap. Percussion implements and equipment are provided.
- Print out ALL music needed- 2022 Warmup, Out of the Blue show, Pregame (Fight Song, Alma Mater, Salute to America's Finest), and stand tunes. All music can be found on the WARU Band website www.waruband.org under the MUSIC tab, Marching Band Resources.
Band Registration Form:
If you have NOT filled this out yet, please do so here.
Band Wear Orders:
We use several different platforms to communicate all important info. Please connect yourself with all of these to avoid missing important information:
- Band website: www.waruband.org
- WARU Band Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/waruband/
- WARU Band on Slack (primarily for students, but parents can join too): Download the Slack app first, login with your school email info, then click on this link to join. WARU Band should pop up after your login. MAKE SURE TO SELECT "ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS"! Our Slack can also be accessed at www.waruband.slack.com.
- School email: Best way to reach a director
- For the fun on TikTok:
We are having a Parent Mixer on August 4th, 6:00-7:00pm in the band room. Come meet other band parents and learn about the band program and volunteer opportunities!
We can't wait to see you at marching band camp this Thursday at 8am!!! To Be Early is To Be On Time is our motto! Plan to arrive at 7:30am to allow time for check-in. If you have any questions, please email a director of your section (Chaffee=brass, Casey=woodwinds, Exum=percussion, Hosie=auxiliaries).
Go drink some water,